Saturday, August 6, 2011

Steirische Apfelkuchen - Apple Cake - Results


Yippee! My first creation is a success!

I followed the instructions, but had to adlib when deciding how much milk to add. I ended up adding 275 mls to get a good consistency. I also warmed the milk before adding it, and whisked the eggs. I used both eggs. I used the dough hook on my Kenwood Patissier mixer and let it go at full speed until the dough was pulling together and showing good stretching of the gluten fibers. I let it rise for 1 1/2 hours in the oven with the door open at 60 - 80 C, covered with plastic film to keep it from drying out.
I used a slicing machine for the apples and cooked them on a medium heat until they were soft. Patience required.
I just patted the dough down and pushed it into the corners of the baking dish. I used a 9x13 in, 2.8L Pyrex dish, which ended up being a good size.
I almost stuffed up when I forgot to cut the top into strips before layering it on top of the filling, but I managed to save it. The top looked a bit bare, so I added some chopped walnuts for decoration, I also sprayed it with some cooking spray to give it a nice top. When it was ready to serve, I finished it off with a generous dusting of icing sugar. It didn't last long!

Slide Show of cooking steps

No comments:

Post a Comment